The most scenic climbs in the Bay Area: Top 5 clockwise from top left
#5 Mt. Umunhum; #1 Mt. Tamalpais; #2 Mt. St. Helena
#4 Mt. Hamilton; #3 Geysers Road
THE FIFTH MOST SCENIC CLIMB IN THE BAY AREA
MT. UMUNHUM SOUTH, SANTA CLARA COUNTY
Mt. Umunhum is Most Scenic #5 because:
- There is very little traffic (perhaps not a pure “scenic” factor, but it does add greatly to the pleasure of the ride);
- It is through wooded preserve land with zero residences or commercial buildings; and
- There are spectacular views of the Silicon Valley from The Cube.
#4 BAY AREA MOST SCENIC
MT. HAMILTON WEST (SANTA CLARA COUNTY)
Why #4 Most Scenic?
- Great views of the Silicon Valley for the first few miles;
- Maybe the greatest groves of oak trees on any bike climb in the Bay Area; and
- Great distant views of the Santa Cruz Mountains, including the Mt. Umunhum Cube on a clear day.
#3 BAY AREA MOST SCENIC
GEYSERS ROAD, SONOMA COUNTY
- The greatest vineyard views in California’s Wine Country; and
- Amazing views of the Alexander Valley.
#2 MOST SCENIC BAY AREA
MT. ST. HELENA, NAPA COUNTY
- An epic and challenging climb with minimal motor vehicle traffic for the first part, and zero traffic for the last half of the trip;
- Begin in vineyards, climb through remote mountainous roadway adjacent to the palisades, and end at the highest point in the North Bay; and
- The greatest 360 degree views in the Bay Area from the top.
THE MOST SCENIC BIKE CLIMB IN THE BAY AREA
MT. TAMALPAIS FROM ALPINE DAM, MARIN COUNTY
Why Numero Uno?
- Of the five primary ascents to the top of Mt. Tam, this is the most scenic;
- Begins at beautiful Alpine Reservoir;
- Ride through redwood groves the first few miles;
- Ride the ridgeline with some views of the Pacific Ocean and a glimpse of Mt. St. Helena to the north; and
- For the last few miles of the climb, the most amazing views of San Francisco Bay and The City of anywhere.